When I went to Amsterdam last year it was my first time ever leaving my country. I still can’t believe that I went by myself! I was so terrified so I tried to look up as much information as possible beforehand. Still, there were some things that I was not prepared for, not that they were bad but just unexpected.
- I was told to be careful because Amsterdam is a dangerous place and there are a lot of pickpocketers. First I never had any issues during my trip. In all the places that I went too, I never felt unsafe. It was quite comfortable while I was traveling day or night. I think you just have to make smart choices and don’t do dumb things and you will be fine.
- Enjoy your time If you know Americans you will know that we are very rarely relaxing even while on vacation. It’s like we don’t understand the concept of enjoying the moment. For the first two days I was in Amsterdam I was constantly speeding through things like I didn’t have 4 more days to explore. When I ate I did it quickly and found myself waiting for a waiter to come around. I remember thinking what are they doing? Can’t they see I’m done? And then I looked around and realized that everyone was taking their time. They were enjoying their meals, their company, the day. I noticed people just sat on the banks of the river just being there. That they were relaxed and happy. For my remaining days, I had to really try to just slow down the pace of things, to take my time, live in the moment. I just enjoyed the calm that I had while I was in Amsterdam.
- Free refills anyone? We very spoiled in my country in that we have a lot of things that are normal for us but might not be the norm in other countries and I never knew until I went to Amsterdam. Like almost every restaurant or fast food, location gives free refills of your drinks. This was not the case in Amsterdam. It was so hot while I was there and I was always thirsty.
- Air conditioning I discovered that while in my country air conditioning exists almost everywhere I did not find a single place that had air conditioning. I went in July and it was extremely hot so it was something I noticed. The hostel I stayed at said there was air conditioning but it was not something you would notice. If you visit in summer drink plenty of water!
- I was told there I would have no access to wifi Lies! I never had an issue connecting to the wifi in any of the places I was. When I would stop at a place to eat the owners were very nice and always gave me the wifi password. When there was construction going on my google maps worked perfectly fine to show me alternate routes.
- Regrets What do I regret?? Here it is, I regret not being able to try the coffee. I know I know, you’re in Amsterdam drink coffee everyone does, but I actually can’t drink caffeine. I was definitely bummed because every time I saw a cup it looked amazing!